The Different States We Have Ridden In

Our Planned Route

Our Planned Route
This is how our trip is mapped out.

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Van Buren, AR - 365 Miles (199 Miles)

On our way to Gallup from the Grand Canyon, I noticed that the rear brake on the LT was a little spongy. I did not think much of it as I figured this was because of condensation from the lines due to the severe cold. I had planned on bleeding the rear brakes once I get a chance. Found a Napa Parts Store in Edgewood, NM and got some brake fluid. Started bleeding the lines and once done, had a brake in the rear. Unfortunately, it started to leak right under the foot brake pedal. Rode the bike down the street and the rear brakes locked up. I opened the bleeder screw to release the brake and more fluid from the pedal. Hence, the decision to get a cabin in order for me to work on the bike. End result, a ruptured brake line that goes from the pedal to the brake pump. Called up the closest dealer, Oklahoma City, OK. They did not carry the parts. Special order, 2 to 3 day delivery time and I have no tools for the job.

I have decided to keep moving on and call other dealers in Memphis and Nashville, TN, all the while limping along with no rear brake. It could be done, right, who really uses rear brakes anyway. But, Wilma always concerned and the voice of reason suggested that we leave the bike in Oklahoma and get a rental car and proceed to DC and instead of riding North to Colorado, I'll ride back on I-40 and then figure a detour to CO. This also meant that we have no rear brakes for over 700 miles. So the bike trip is on hold but the adventure continues but this time on 4 wheels. A little boring actually, but safer. So we leave at first light.


Say goodbye to New Mexico. It's behind the glare.


Welcome to Texas.


You know you are in Texas when there are crosses this big.


Remember the movie "Castaway" when the girl said a whole lot of nothing...


I do have to admit the portion of I-40 in Texas was the smoothest slab I've ridden on.



Unfortunately this pic does not show how good this rest area looks.


Note flag on the right. Imagine how that wind affects the bike and how it affects rider and passenger for almost a hundred miles.




They try to keep bikers safe here in Oklahoma City.


Oklahoma so far is nice and green.



Eufaula Lake, this looks huge.


I believe a sign said Arkansas River, not really sure.



Oklahoma Rest Area, picture does not do it justice though.


Welcome to Arkansas.


Arkansas Rest Area.


That's if for today, covered 566 miles, 367 on the bike, and 199 in the car, the states of New Mexico, Texas Oklahoma and we're in Arkansas not bad for catching up. I'll put ( ) on the car mileage. More to come, hopefully tomorrow, Knoxville, TN.

3 comments:

  1. Mamang gave a sigh of relief when she learned of the modified way of travel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, someone needs to call up BMW and tell them to send some parts via helicopter, pronto! hehe no, the voice of reason is wise indeed! Still a journey for sure and man Arkansas looks great in those pictures you took. Hey by the way, have you come across any interesting food out there on the road? besides the roadkill stew that is.

    over and out

    -mmavoice-

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cars are boring, I think I dozed off a few times today.

    If you like Arkansas, you'll love Tennessee, so far on this trip it's got the best scenery.

    ReplyDelete