The Different States We Have Ridden In

Our Planned Route

Our Planned Route
This is how our trip is mapped out.

Sunday, May 2, 2010

Gallup, NM - 275 Miles

After all that weird weather we decided to get ahead of the weather. I guess Mamang's (My Mom) Novenas did not go unheard. As we left Grand Canyon this is what welcomed us.


But, it did not last very long, it became windy and cold.


And, guess?... snow.



I figured this is not so bad, it's wet but that's all.... yeah right. I consider myself a fairly good rider. I can handle the wind and rain, but add snow and possible icy conditions in the mix, it was almost too much. It made for a tough couple of hours of riding. 



We got through all that excitement on Hwy. 180 to Flagstaff safely. So we push through I-40 and planned stop is Tucumcari, NM. Before you know it, more weather. Hail.



It eventually cleared up, so Tucumcari here we come.


I hope you can see the steam coming up from the black top. We stopped here to stretch our legs, 50 miles or so from Gallup, NM.




Next picture is the "Welcome to New Mexico" Sign. As you can see we're fighting a losing battle, we can't fight nature. We stopped at Gallup to fill up and have lunch when a nice elderly couple, originally from Norco told us that they just came from Albuquerque, NM and 30 miles east of Gallup they encountered a snow storm and was really bad. They suggested we check the weather and wait it out. After lunch we decided to proceed East on I-40 towards Albuquerque. As soon as we hit the freeway, large chunks of hail started to fall and we got off the freeway and decided to spend the night here in Gallup. As Wilma was checking for room availability, I asked a couple where they were coming from and they mentioned from Albuquerque as well and they told me that they saw a jack knifed truck and several cars facing different directions and that the backup was about 10 miles on I-40 East. Well, I like adventure but I'm not stupid. So, it's a good decision that we relax for the night and see what tomorrow brings. We have decided to reschedule visiting our friend Alma in Irving, TX, this was Monday night's stop, and we'll see how far we can go east on I-40 tomorrow. Wish us luck.


Found this update on Hwy Conditions. I guess it was a good decision to wait for better weather.


Now we got wet, slushy snow.



2 comments:

  1. First of all, great pictures of that beautiful open road. And WOW! good thing you were able to find a spot to call it a night, those road conditions are no joke. Now no knee sliding man, well at least while your little lady is riding with ya hehehe. Well i'll be praying for a safe journey and looking forward to your next update.

    By the way, if you snap a pic of a yeti, i'll buy you lunch when you get back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, watch out, I'll be on the lookout for that yeti, hahaha.

    ReplyDelete