The Different States We Have Ridden In

Our Planned Route

Our Planned Route
This is how our trip is mapped out.

Friday, May 14, 2010

Gallup, NM - 611 Miles (The Return Trip)

Ben and I have been monitoring the weather since yesterday. All reports show it should be better today. A chance of showers in the afternoon and evening.

I decided to skip Durango due to the recent storms. Instead my plan is to go West on I-70 and spend the night in Richfield, UT. From there take scenic Hwy. 89 to St. George, UT and back on I-15 to Las Vegas, NV.

My nemesis throughout the trip decided to show up again.

Tuned in to the Local News this morning, and guess what? I-70, Icy Spots, Snow and Wet from Genesee, CO to Rifle, CO. That's about 170 miles. Chains required near the Eisenhower Tunnel. I guess that's not going to work.

The other option is go South on I-25 to Albuquerque, NM and go West on I-40 until we get tired. But luck was not on my side again,  rain is predicted for most of this area from Santa Fe, NM to Denver, CO. We chose rain over snow.

Sadly, we said our goodbyes to Ben, Mel, Maddie, Nick and Nate.

Started riding at 8:00 AM. Got anywhere from drizzle to heavy rain from the CO/NM border and did not clear till Santa Fe, NM. After the rain, of course, a wicked crosswind. We fought this till Albuquerque, NM. I figured the wind would shift once we're heading West on I-40. I could not have been more wrong.

This time depending on the direction we're going, it was crosswinds from the South to a headwind. This went on till we stopped at around 6:00 PM. Tough day at the office.

Just South of Littleton, CO on I-25, Castlerock, I believe.


Part of my Rest Area collection.


Not looking good here. Looking South on I-25.


Picked up a hitchhiker who flew to Denver and did not bring her helmet. She's got Ben's right now.


I-25 just South of Trinidad, CO.



Weather is not getting any better.


Now in New Mexico. I think we're going to get wet, and we did.



Sorry no pictures in the rain. Definitely no pictures while fighting with crosswinds.

Scenery on I-25 between Grants and Gallup, NM.









No comments:

Post a Comment