The Different States We Have Ridden In

Our Planned Route

Our Planned Route
This is how our trip is mapped out.

Monday, May 10, 2010

Oklahoma City - (1496 Miles)

Sunday, 5/9/2010, I dropped off Wilma at the Ronald Reagan Int'l Airport shortly before 5:00 AM, Sunday. From there, my plan was to drive as far as possible towards Oklahoma City, OK. There were 3 routes suggested by Google and Garmin had one. Since Google had more choices and it broke it down by distances, I chose the shortest one, which was to head North then West via I-70. From Washington DC, I drove through the following States, Maryland, Pennsylvania then entered Ohio. I was making good time, 400 miles by 11:00 AM.


Pennsylvania scenery on I-70.



Some landscape.


 



Pennsylvania/Ohio State Line




Ohio on I-70 West




I checked the GPS to ensure that I was not lost and it still wants me to go South towards I-64. So, I complied, headed South on I-77 and eventually entered West Virginia. From I-77 took I-64 West and drove through Kentucky. As I logged in the miles, breezed through Illinois and entered Missouri.

Entering West Virginia on I-77 South

West Virginia Scenery



 

 



 Louisville, KY



 

 

 

 Note the change in scenery in Indiana



 

 

 

 Illinois landscape



St. Louis' Gateway Arch in the background



Unable to time this picture, driving through a construction zone, lane changes and phone ringing.

 

 

The weather was good throughout the day until, south of St. Louis, MO. At this time, the weather has changed drastically. As I end the day it became cold and windy. I was really tired, but staying near St. Louis was out of the question because of the possibility of morning traffic. Now, going South on I-44 towards Springfield MO. Eventually ended up in Sullivan, MO. Stopped at around 8:00 PM, and logged 1054 miles.

Monday, 5/10/2010, left the hotel at around 7:30 AM, a little rain falling, but the sky looks really bad. Cold wind blowing from the South, which is sort of where I'm going. I figured around 400 miles to Oklahoma City. Looks like it's going to be a tough drive.




Best looking Rest Area I've seen. And you know I've seen a lot just on this trip. They even serve fresh coffee inside. By the way, I did not get a picture of one in Kentucky, but they offered Wi-Fi.




A break in the rain.



Finally.






 Got off the freeway towards BMW Motorcycles of Oklahoma at around 2:00 PM, 442 hard miles. I first had lunch and proceeded to the shop. The mechanic was out to lunch and one of the techs mentioned that bike is done except all the tupperware needed to be assembled. I settled the bill and requested the mechanic to bring the bike to the hotel where I'm staying which was a couple of blocks away. He agreed.

Not soon after I got to the hotel, a loud siren. TV was buzzing. My first tornado warning. How cool is that? Winds started to pick up, heavy rain starts to fall and hail. On TV, they show a tornado touch down, just west of where I'm at. I got a call from the shop, and they inform me that they need to do a road test and because of the weather, it won't be possible till tomorrow. Another tornado touches down east of where I am located and hit I-40. From what I hear major property damage, 4 deaths, I-40 closed. So tomorrow looks like a good riding day weatherwise. I plan to ride till Clayton, NM or Trinidad, CO. We shall see.

1 comment:

  1. whoa! man stay safe out there.

    I wouldn't mind a house right where you took that Illinois landscape picture, looks very peaceful.

    ReplyDelete